Warning: Despite the technical nature of the information
below, resist the urge to scroll past. This “boring read” may be the
first step in transforming your Skills Development Management from shaky to
savvy within the space of 7 minutes.
Time to shop for your first digital #training
#skillsdevelopment management platform or improve your current system.
Where to start?
Firstly, forget the bells and whistles of fly-by-night
companies and ensure that the system you end up choosing has the following
1. Integration Features
- Training data should be sharable across organizational
systems such as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Human Resources Information
(HRI), and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) portals.
- Multi-Tenant Architecture should allow for groups of
learners with similar training needs together to share one training
application. These learners can be logically isolated in, for instance, the marketing
or finance department.
- The system should have an option for physical
integration to use a single instance of the training application, sharing
development and maintenance costs.
- Simplifying content management and authoring (writing)
of curriculums should be possible without the coding necessary to convert
various programming languages of content from other platforms. (Contact eStudy
for expert advice)
- Content templates ought to be adaptable to fit suppliers,
employees, or business partners’ requirements by amending instead of
re-developing each time.
Management triggers incorporating Requests,
Approvals, Scheduling, In-progress, and Completed
2. Centralisation Features
- A useful one-stop-shop attribute where the organization’s
entirety training is managed under one “virtual” roof.
- The curation of content management and curriculum
development activities is far more efficient when following a centralized
approach to a CPD strategy.
- Access to training metrics and analytics from a single
location in real-time cuts down on hours of meetings, emails, and information
- An all-in-one back-end system unifies processes into one
holistic process and eliminates the need for multiple tools such as
spreadsheets, API scripts, booking applications.le
3. Delivery Features
- A value-adding TMS should deliver a variety of training
execution methods, for instance, e-learning, online, computer-based, instructor
lead or practical simulation activities.
- Inter-device support capacity will provide user access
from smart devices like tablets, mobile phones, or standard laptops and
- Content delivery should be plausible with Android,
Linux, Apple, and Windows operating systems.
- Blended learning functionalities enable training
delivery during offline events such as lectures, seminars, workshops, and job
4. User Logistics Features
- Single Sign-On (SSO) user registration must streamline
your training management system, making the Training of learners in different
departments run smoothly with user entry provision from a single access point
on the training platform.
- Registration administration is a breeze with the right
kind of TMS, which automates confirmation emails, reminders about important
dates for and notifications regarding schedule changes or assignment deadlines.
- Registrants to be allocated to different user groups
based on job title, location, or job profiles after which assigning courses,
scheduling training activities, or booking tests can be done automatically.
5. Recordkeeping Features
- User activity tracking is a must to verify that
stipulated Training is, in fact, taking place.
- Tracking and monitoring of back-office training
processes helps to organize all user data from a central location
- Data storage ability provides vital management
information regarding learner history, training budgets, and grading results.
- Personal user information is stored under one primary
record, which can be easily amended if details like phone numbers change or
added to the learner’s certifications.
- To create and update the records of trainees, for future
use. This module cover aspects such as Name, ID Number, Race, Gender,
Disability, Contact detail
6. Reporting Features
- Assessing training programs’ success is vital, and
business intelligence reporting helps relevant personnel extract meaningful
information from completed training activities.
- Customized reporting functions enable managers to filter
and search specific data sets across variables like timeframes, pass rates, and
course completion figures to decide future training strategies.
- Reporting capabilities should be able to pull statistics
about online and offline training activities.
- Types of reports should include summaries like
dashboards and detailed documents, such as exam result statements or
7. Security Features
- Due to the recent changes in personal privacy laws, data
integrity compliance is a must.
- Protection from outside threats like hacking or virus
infiltration must be ensured by firewall and malware guards built into the TMS.
- Sensitive user data should be protected with stringent
authorization protocols, for example, password encryption or two-step
verification access methods.
- Information backup contingency can be achieved with either
cloud-based servers or on-premise servers, which must be maintained
8. Support Features
- The value of system support, whether in-house or from an
outside party, is undeniable
- A logging or ticketing system is useful for less urgent
queries like those from general users where a 24hour turnaround time is
- For situations where the system may be compromised
without immediate action, administrator access to telephonic support at any
hour is imperative.
- A comprehensive troubleshooting document should be
available to guide users to solve problems independently without having to log
queries or contact support personnel directly.
With eSDF, you are assured that these backbones are
in place. Let’s consider a few features/functionalities that you may expect
from the eSDF platform
and updating training providers, linked to a training course/s, as approved by
process will include aspects such as registration detail of training providers,
accreditation detail of providers, training models, regions
- Create and
updating training courses, linked to a training provider
- This process will include
aspects such as registered course name, course type, accreditation detail,
- Managers are able to request specific
training interventions, from the standard pre-approved training provider list,
and the pre-approved Training Course Library, for pre-approved trainees
and Scheduled Training Management
- Planned Training reflects as
training status, and means that a training request was approved, but the
commercial aspects are outstanding (provider invoice, PO number, PoP), neither
do you have a starting date.
- Once you capture a starting
date, then the record will automatically change to Scheduled Training, when the
calendar starting date is reached
- Actual Training Scheduled
reflects a training status, and means that a training request was approved, all
commercial aspects have been confirmed, as well as a confirmed starting date
- Completed Training also
reflects a training status, and means that the person/s completed a training
- The SETA Management triggers
will “handle” all SETA-related funding detail, including
discretionary grants allocated, until money-in-the-bank.
- The module will consist of a WSP planning tool, including a
calculator, and workflow processes to meet SETA-specific Scarce and Critical
- On approval of the final WSP then the report detail will be
uploaded to request training
TMS before LMS
is the point of bells and whistles if no-one hears them? Form follows
function…yes, it’s old, but GOLD, especially in the skills development space.
you are an SME with a basic server capacity and modest architectural structure,
or a corporate titan sporting super servers and complex IT Architecture, eSDF
is a viable solution.
before spending those ZAR’S too quickly on the next best E-Learning portal or
LMS solution, ensure that all your ducks are in a row regarding the back-end TMS
framework required to support your front-end LMS
Find out more about the eSTUDY eSDF system here.